This Course has passed
Are you dreading the fact it is that time of year again where you have to calculate your Gender Pay Gap and explain to the world what it means? Does the thought of analysing your payroll data with statistics fill you with concern? Then why not ask an expert in pay gap analytics with nearly 30 years experience of explaining statistical ideas to non-statisticians like yourself to help you through the process
Book a video coaching or consultation session with Nigel Marriott and we will show you how to use basic statistical tools in Microsoft Excel to –
- Analyse your payroll data
- Calculate your gender pay gap statistics
- Identify the key insights that should be included in your statutory report and action plan.
Who should book this session?
Anyone who has to produce, present and report on gender pay gap data and develop and track actions to close pay gaps. It does not matter which department you work in, if you are any way involved in your organisations gender pay gap reporting process and are struggling with how to calculate the figures in the first place and/or to understand what they mean for your organisation, then this 1 on 1 coaching offer is for you.
Where can the session take place?
Whilst the Coronavirus pandemic is still going on, this is an online session using whatever software you prefer. Our usual videoconferencing software is Zoom.
Once business travel resumes, you will be welcome to travel to Bath and hold the session there.
Alternatively, we are willing to travel to your premises but this would be a 2 hour session and not 3 hours. The price quoted here for session on your premises is only for a location within a reasonable distance of Bath that allows us to make a straightforward day trip. At the moment, we consider anywhere within the area bounded by London, Birmingham, South Wales, Plymouth & Portsmouth to be reasonable. If you would like us to travel beyond this area, there will an additional charge.
When can you deliver the session?
If the session is to take place online or in Bath then any time between 0900 & 1700 is acceptable.
If you would like us to run the session on your premises, then the session needs to take place in the afternoon between 1200 & 1700.
Please contact us using the contact details shown to find a suitable date.
What preparation is needed beforehand?
Our pre-requisites are:
- Speak to us before the session so that we can agree what will be covered.
- Have a computer or laptop loaded with the relevant payroll data in Microsoft Excel.
- Ensure you are comfortable with entering data in Excel and using simple formulas like AVERAGE(), etc.
- Ensure you are familiar with the key statutory requirements for gender pay gap reporting.
- Download a spreadsheet template which we will email to you before the session.
- Pay the fee in full before the session!
It is important to note that this session is not about Microsoft Excel or the details of the legislation about gender pay gap reporting hence why some familiarity with these is needed. However, you will learn additional details about both during the session.
What you will learn?
Ahead of the session, we will agree what your key requirements are but they could include many of these topics.
- What is the Mean and median gender pay gap & bonus gap.
- How to calculate the four income quartiles and the gender breakdown within each.
- How to plot your results in a variety of chart formats.
- How to interpret your results especially your income quartile data.
- How to prepare and interpret a year on year comparison.
- How to identify where more in-depth analysis may be worthwhile.
- How to work out what no gender pay gap would look like in your organisation.
- How to identify if that goal is achievable in the next few years by analysing the pay gaps of other employers.
- Using the above two steps to specify what your goal looks like in terms of the mandatory statistics and any additional statistics.
- How to identify the key drivers of your pay gaps
- How to separate the internal drivers from external drivers
- How to work out which statistics will need to be tracked over time and thus should be included in your action plan.
This list is not exhaustive and we are happy to cover topics not included here. As a rough rule of thumb, a 3 hour session will allow us to cover around 6 topics.
Who will be coaching me?
Nigel Marriott is an Independent Statistician and fellow of the Royal Statistical Society. He has been running basic statistics courses aimed at non-statisticians for 17 years. Feedback has consistently noted that Nigel has a rare ability to explain what looks like complicated statistics in a simple manner that makes it easy for you to understand and apply what you are learning.
Find out what previous course attendees think of Nigel.
Nigel also blogs extensively on issues of diversity and pay gaps and you can find all his blogs here.
How much does it cost?
A coaching/consultation session costs £400 +VAT. Payment must be made in full before the session takes place.
If booking an online session or if you are happy to come to Bath, then the session will last 3 hours which can be split into two 90 minute sessions on different dates if you prefer.
If booking a session where we come to your premises, then the session will last 2 hours and this fee includes our travel expenses provided your premises are within 2 hours of Bath by public transport. If you are based further away, we reserve the right to charge extra to cover the additional cost of travel.
Once you have booked a session, any changes to the date must be made at least 7 days before the planned date otherwise an administrative charge will be made to cover non-refundable costs incurred by us.
How do I book a session?
Contact us using the details shown here to book a date and time. Once confirmed, you can make payment can be made by credit card or by bank transfer. Payment must be made in full before the agreed date otherwise it will be cancelled.