Spaces are available
Without firm foundations, it can be difficult to build anything. This refreshingly different course provides you with an introduction to statistics and analyses and takes you through the 6 key concepts that underlie all statistical thinking and analysis. Using a mixture of discussion and exercises, each concept is broken down into an easily understood format. A must have course for anyone who wants a firm grounding in the basics of statistics.
By the end of the session you will have a firm grasp of all these concepts and know how to summarise your data using tables and charts. You will also have a good understanding of how to start using your data to make decisions or to identify trends.
Who should attend this course?
If you are working in analytical role or similar that requires you to summarise and analyse data on a regular basis and to produce reports, charts & recommendations, then this course is exactly what you need. As a producer of statistical analysis, this course will show how you can apply these concepts using Microsoft Excel so as to make a quantum leap in the quality & efficiency of your analyses.
The course will held at the Chequers Inn, 50 Rivers St, Bath BA1 2QA, UK and will start at 9.15am and finish at 5pm. Lunch will be provided.
In order to get the most out of this course, participants will require:
- A laptop with Microsoft Excel installed. A spreadsheet with the data to be analysed during the course will be emailed to you before the course.
- Completion of a pre-course online questionnaire before attending the course.
- Be comfortable with the basic operations of Microsoft Excel such as entering data, undertaking simple calculations such as the average and producing simple charts (line and bar charts).
- A numerate background along with the desire to become better at analysing data.
It is important to note that this course is not a training course in Microsoft Excel. However, you will learn useful tricks and shortcuts with Excel during the course.
What you will learn?
You will learn what are the 6 Concepts of Statistical Thinking, what they mean for your data and how they can used to get more out of your data.
In the morning, we cover –
Session 1: Probability
- What is the difference between Absolute and Conditional Probability?
Session 2: Risk
- What is the meaning of Risk and how can we assess & manage it?
Session 3: Distribution
- Why the Normal and Binomial distributions are so important to statistical thinkers.
In the afternoon, we cover –
Session 4: Expectation
- The Mean, Median and Mode; which should you use and when?
Session 5: Variance
- How an understanding of Variance & Standard Deviation will mark you out as a true statistical thinker.
Session 6: Correlation
- What is Correlation and why it does not mean cause & effect!
Throughout the course, there will be ample opportunities for you to practice the calculations in Microsoft Excel and to ask questions. After the course, you will receive a spreadsheet explaining all the answers and demonstrating the relevant calculations.
Your course instructor
Nigel Marriott is an Independent Statistician and fellow of the Royal Statistical Society. He has been running basic statistics courses aimed at non-statisticians for 17 years. Feedback has consistently noted that Nigel has a rare ability to explain what looks like complicated statistics in a simple manner that makes it easy for you to understand and apply what you are learning.
Find out what previous course attendees think of Nigel.
Nigel also blogs extensively on topical statistical issues including basic statistical concepts and you can find all his blogs here.
The course fee is £395 +VAT per person.
Other Training Courses in Statistics
We offer a wide range of statistical training courses covering numerous topics. We provide in-house training as well as public courses like this one. You can find out more details here.